Most Recent Podcast:

1.21.2012

Smart People Like Good Beer: #6 Capital Brewery Winter Skal

Whew, it was a little rough last time with the "malted beverage," but we're getting back to beer. I'm giving another Wisconsin beer a chance here. This time I went with Capital Brewery's Winter Skal to go with the recent bout of frigid weather we've had here in the Badger State. I also thought I'd go with Capital Brewery to tie in with the recent political news our state has enjoyed.

Capital Brewery is actually not located in the capital of Wisconsin, but technically in next door Middleton. The brewery was founded in 1984. Many of their beers are made according to the Bavarian Purity Law that I have mentioned before. The Winter Skal is an amber ale and one of the brewery's winter seasonals.

Winter Skal pours a kind of coppery amber color with a rich white head that dissipates quickly. It's approximately 5.40% ABV. The aroma is of toasted malts with a hint of hop aroma. The initial taste of the beer is pretty smooth, with the malt taste coming out right away. You get a slight bite of the hops at the back of your tongue on the way down. Smooth beer, with a nice finish. It kind of reminds me of a mix between Sam Adams Boston and Winter lager.

I'm going to give Winter Skal an 86 overall. It's a decent beer that you can enjoy in most occasions.

Rate Beer comes in with an adjusted rating of 85 based on 218 ratings.

Beer Advocate comes in at an 85 as well based on 131 reviews. There is no expert rating for this one.

This time I'm almost right on with the ratings. Not too shabby. Anyway, until next time folks. And remember, if you want me to review a specific beer, or want to give your own rating, just leave me a message in the comments.

This post originally appeared on Stuff Smart People Like. Subscribe to the Podcast.

No comments:

Post a Comment