Most Recent Podcast:

10.28.2011

Bandwidth, We Don't Need No Stinking Bandwidth

I know I said I was going to go with a Halloween theme for posts leading up to the holiday, but this one is only tangentially so. A recent study looked at internet traffic and bandwidth usage. Apparently Netflix accounts for approximately 1/3 of internet bandwidth usage. That's a lot of movie streaming . Some would say it's scary. See, there's the Halloween link. Anyway, it remains to be seen if Netflix can keep up these numbers with the frightening rate at which subscribers bailed on the company following it's price increase and its aborted plan to split the DVD by mail and streaming options into different services.

This post originally appeared on Stuff Smart People Like. Subscribe to the Podcast.

1 comment:

  1. I've heard this before. Now that NF has forced people to basically choose one or the other option (or pay twice as much), I'm curious as to whether the bandwidth numbers will increase. I'm also curious as to whether ISPs will begin limiting bandwidth because of this and thus force a limit on people's "unlimited" steaming.

    ReplyDelete